Tuesday 3 April 2012

Gently busy day

It's been a productive day, but not at the same pitch as last week. First thing this morning I added a review of the Miners Arms to the Braidbar Owners' Group pub guide, converted the current version of the guide to a PDF and uploaded it to the files area of the group's website.

Then I ambled over to the Braidbar office and had a happy morning playing with Peter's new iMac, on the pretence of helping to set it up to use their rather elderly printer, and I downloaded Thunderbird for Mac and set that up. Sadly, it seems that Mac Mail under Mac OS Lion doesn't handle IMAP accounts terribly well, whereas Thunderbird did it effortlessly.

Getting the printer working on the Mac meant their old Windows XP machine now couldn't see it, but fortunately that's not mission critical. As always, getting Macs and Windows machines to interface across a network wasn't straightforward, again especially with Lion, whereas it was much easier with Snow Leopard.

(And for any Mac heads out there, yes I tried the Bonjour Printer server on the Windows box, and it still didn't help. No doubt eventually it all could have been persuaded to work, but since Peter's buying a snazzy new Samsung MFP with wireless connectivity, there just wasn't much point slogging on with it.)

I have to say, having had two good sessions with it now, I'm not at all convinced the move to Lion (ie 10.7 rather than 10.6) was worth it. It has more bells and whistles, but mostly silly ones like calling the application chooser "Launchpad". For all basic functions, like email, web browsing and running Office, it doesn't seem any better. It looks like Apple are succumbing to that perennial temptation for software designers, bloat. I certainly don't want to upgrade our machines from Snow Leopard.

Meantime, whilst I was enjoying myself, Sheila slogged down to the Co-op for bread and a paper, what a wonderful wife.

This afternoon we've spent quietly in the boat, watching an unusual sight; the rain running down the windows.

Tonight, we go out for a meal with Peter and Susan, which is a very nice thought indeed.

/please

1 comment:

Baz said...

FWIW, I found that Lion was quite effective at improving speed on my mid-2010 MacBook Pro - iPhoto in particular became a great deal easier to use. I agree that Launchpad is a bit of a frippery, though.